Friday, February 22, 2013

Donald Trump Is Threatening To Sue Over #DumpTrump For 25 Million Dollars

Dear Claire,

Donald Trump is trying to shut us down!

Trump’s lawyers sent me a cease and desist letter threatening a 25 million dollar lawsuit if I continued with our campaign urging Macy’s to dump Donald Trump. But, I won't succumb to Trump's bullying and attempt to shut us down. I am pressing on and I hope you will press on too.


Read more about the legal threat at The Hollywood Reporterhttp://goo.gl/ylUAd
When we last left off, there were already signs that your efforts were having an effect. This is why Trump is trying to stop us. AdWeek reported that Macy's popularity plummeted for "failing to dump the Trump collection." [1] Tens of thousands of customers told Macy's they will stop shopping there. And, thanks to your support, we ran #DumpTrump mobile billboards around Macy's Herald Square and Macy's Ohio Headquarters during the days leading up to Christmas. [2]

lawsuit
By threatening me, Trump is only reinforcing the point that we've been trying to get Macy's to recognize: that Trump's brand is bigoted bullying and chicanery. And, it shouldn't be rewarded.

So, now it's time to let Macy's know that they can't remain silent and continue to defend Donald Trump.

Here are some ways you can help:

  • Post a message on Macy's Facebook pageLet them know that you don't appreciate their continued support of Donald Trump's bigoted bullying. Ask them if they support Trump's attempt to intimidate and silence customers. Urge them to make it clear that Trump doesn't speak for Macy's and to finally #DumpTrump. You can find Macy's page here:http://facebook.com/macys
It took a few weeks (hence the delay in sending an update), but fortunately, I was able to secure pro bono legal representation. Paul Alan Levy, an attorney at the nonprofit consumer organizationPublic Citizen, has agreed to represent me. I am grateful.

As soon as I went public with the news, Trump's lawyer told reporters that I was a "loser;" Donald Trump called me "dummy" and "stupid." But, as much as Trump is trying to make this about him, this effort is really about Macy's and their decision to continue supporting Donald Trump. Thus far, Macy's has been silent. This is surprising given that they came out and defended Trump's freedom of speech last fall. It's also surprising because Trump's counsel claimed that Macy's is supportive of Trump's legal action. Trump doesn't have credibility, so I don't put too much stock in the claim, but I really hope Macy's isn't encouraging these kinds of threats against their own customers.

We can't allow Donald Trump to shut us down, especially when we've already come so far.

In the coming weeks, I will send another update with additional organizing and action opportunities.

Thanks so much for your participation. It matters.

Onward!

Best,
Angelo
Twitter: @GoAngelo

No comments:

Post a Comment